Monday 22 February 2010

Bricolage: a confrontation with the familiar


'The materials of the bricoleur are as poor as his freedom of manoeuvre is limited. His universe of instruments and rites of his game are always to make do with what ever is at hand.' Claude Levi Strauss; The Savage Mind.
I always make do with whatever is at hand. My subject matter is taken from the external world around me whose elements and imagery, its bits and pieces are given a new uncharacteristic twist and change of aspect to take on new meaning.
As a bricoleur I perhaps have a special freedom but also a lack of freedom as what I collect is restricted by a lack of control reliant on a chance encounter; my materials are the debris of society.
The multifaceted nature of my installations include material and cultural references. I attempt to lift the objects I collect out of their physical existence and incorporate them into the spiritual realm of shamanist practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment